
BARCELONA (REUTERS) - Barcelona shelled out a club record €160 million (S$250 million) to prise Philippe Coutinho from Liverpool, yet one year on from his signing, the Brazilian is struggling to get a game while his former side are thriving in his absence.
Coutinho, the third most expensive player in the world behind Paris St Germain's Neymar and Kylian Mbappe, made a flying start to his Barcelona career with 10 goals in his first five months, giving the team a more direct outlet in midfield and an extra threat with his impressive long-range shooting.
But his impact has waned. He has failed to start any of the La Liga leaders' last three league games, falling behind Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal and French forward Ousmane Dembele in the pecking order.
Coach Ernesto Valverde has stopped short of publicly criticising the player, and neglected to say whether he had a preference for Coutinho or Dembele, the club's second most expensive acquisition at 105 million euros.
"It's a long way from being a problem having them both. It's an advantage," Valverde said last month.
"The coach is pro-Barca, he wants the team to win."
Valverde's recent team selections, however, may offer a clue to his thinking.
Â
Â
There was no place for Coutinho when Valverde fielded an unorthodox 3-5-2 formation in the recent 5-0 hammering of Levante, while he also left the Brazilian out when playing his usual 4-3-3 shape in victories over Espanyol and Celta Vigo.
The coach did pick Coutinho for a visit to Rayo Vallecano in November, but when he saw his side losing 2-1 at one of the weakest teams in the top flight, he hauled off the Brazilian and later brought on Dembele, who scored as Barca pulled off a dramatic 3-2 victory.
In the last three league outings, Valverde has continued to show faith in Dembele, despite the French youngster running into trouble for turning up late to training.
With the lightning quick forward forming a blistering attacking trident with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez, and the highly-experienced Vidal slotting comfortably into the midfield three, Coutinho has been forced to make do with cameo appearances from the bench.
It is quite the fall from grace for a player many believed was signed as the long-term successor to Andres Iniesta, who ended 16 trophy-laden seasons with Barca last May to see out his career in Japan.
With Liverpool sitting four points clear at the top of the Premier League, Coutinho may be wondering on Sunday's anniversary of his transfer from Anfield to the Nou Camp whether it was quite the dream move he had imagined at the time.

Impressive Burnley fight back to beat Bournemouth 3-1 Soccer Football - Premier League - AFC Bournemouth v Burnley - Vitality Stadium, Bournemouth, Britain - April 6, 2019 Burnleys Ashley Barnes scores their third goal REUTERS/Peter Nicholls (Reuters) - Burnley made a big step towards securing Pr
Impressive Burnley fight back to beat Bournemouth 3-1

Football: Placing faith in home-grown talent is the way forward for Valencia, says club president Anil Murthy Club president Anil Murthy said the reason for Valencia's recent stability is down
Latest VALENCIA | The Straits Times

In 2003, Adidas filed a lawsuit in a British court challenging Fitness World Trading's use of a two-stripe motif similar to Adidas's three stripes. The court ruled that despite the simplicity of the mark, Fitness World 's use was infringing because the public could establish a link between that use and Adidas's mark.

USWNT coach Jill Ellis: Carli Lloyd is a 'game-changer' whether she's a starter or a substitute • The U.S. faces Thailand on Tuesday • Sports • One News Page: Monday, 10 June 2019

7. Cricket, football, pub sports and ten-pin bowling 8. Boxing, martial arts and weightlifting 9. Minor team sports 10. Water sports 11. Other sports Activities such as dancing, yoga, boxing, martial arts and weightlifting are characterised by frequent participation while sports such as athletics and rugby are characterisedby less

Villans ascend into EPL heaven - straitstimes.com

Pierre Hojbjerg scored the goal as Southampton withstood a second-half onslaught from Brighton & Hove Albion to secure a vital 1-0 Premier League victory. Home football; Hojbjerg strike
Football: Hojbjerg strike gives Southampton 1-0 win at Brighton

Harry Kane: Tottenham striker out until March with ankle injury

Stadium switch poised to lift Spurs, Football News & Top

Son contemplated Tottenham exit until discussion with Pochettino Tottenham's Son Heung-min speaks after winning the London Football Awards Premier League player of the year at the London
Son contemplated Tottenham exit until discussion with

Football: Toffees aim to start new year on winning note. but that is football and we have another game to turn it around in a short space of time. "Yes (we have goals in the side) but we
Everton 0 Leicester City 1: Vardy strikes in NYD scrap
0 comments:
Post a Comment