Pages

Football: Resurgent Valencia inflict ninth La Liga defeat on Real Madrid

Football: Resurgent Valencia inflict ninth La Liga defeat on Real Madrid

VALENCIA (REUTERS) - Real Madrid's harrowing campaign continued as they fell to a ninth defeat in La Liga and their first since coach Zinedine Zidane returned as they were deservedly beaten 2-1 away by a resurgent Valencia on Wednesday (April 3).
Portugal international Goncalo Guedes fired Valencia into the lead in the 35th minute with a thumping shot from inside the area which was too powerful for Madrid goalkeeper Keylor Navas.
Madrid had played well until conceding, but lost momentum after the goal and Valencia continued to threaten into the second half, finally doubling their lead with a header by defender Ezequiel Garay from a corner in the 83rd.
Karim Benzema headed in a consolation goal for Madrid in stoppage time, shortly after Zidane's side had a penalty decision overturned after a Video Assistant Referee (VAR) review ruled Sergio Ramos was offside.
Madrid are stuck in third on 57 points, 13 behind La Liga leaders Barcelona and five behind city rivals Atletico Madrid.
Valencia, who have reached the Copa del Rey final and the quarter-finals of the Europa League, have Champions League qualification in their sights after climbing up to fifth in the table on 46 points, one behind fourth-placed Getafe.
The win extended their unbeaten run to 17 games in all competitions, their longest stretch without defeat in their 100-year history.
"We know that this has been a difficult year and we are working hard to make sure we come back stronger next season and I'm sure we will," Madrid midfielder Casemiro told reporters.
"We were in control for the first half then they scored and got more confident. We worked hard in the second half and tried to get back in the game but goals are what count. This defeat is difficult for us, we know we are not doing well but we must keep working."
It was Zidane's first away game since returning to the club after Santiago Solari was sacked last month, having won his first two games back against Celta Vigo and Huesca.
As he had promised ahead of the match, the Frenchman made sweeping changes from the team that had beaten Huesca, bringing back seven players including Toni Kroos, Luka Modric and Navas as Isco and Gareth Bale dropped to the bench.
Madrid dominated the early stages but could not turn their possession to chances and once Valencia took the lead through Guedes they rarely looked like letting it slip.
Marcelino's side missed a gilt-edged chance to seal victory when Kevin Gameiro attempted a backheel pass towards Carlos Soler when it would have been easier to shoot at goal.
But Argentine Garay made up for his team mate's wastefulness by effectively sealing the points with a towering header from captain Dani Parejo's corner.



World Cup group stage - Ivory Coast vs. Japan. Japan's Eiji Kawashima saves the ball during the 2014 World Cup Group C soccer match between Ivory Coast and Japan at the Pernambuco arena in
TRAIN TRAVEL IN JAPAN | How to buy & use a Japan Rail Pass



FacebookTwitterFacebook MessengerPinterestEmail Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho says he has forgiven Chelsea coach Marco Ianni for his celebration of Ross Barkley's late equaliser. As
Jose Mourinho's Manchester United Exit Fee Less than £16



Chelsea's Italian head coach Maurizio Sarri shouts instructions to his players from the touchline. / AFP Chelsea boss Sarri baffled by 6-0 humbling at Man City
Chelsea boss Sarri baffled by 6-0 humbling at Man City



Burnley boosted their Premier League survival hopes with a hard-fought 2-0 win over a lacklustre Wolves at Turf Moor on Saturday. The hosts made a dream start in the Lancashire sunshine by opening
Burnley boost survival hopes with 2-0 win over Wolves - Reuters



France coach Didier Deschamps said on Monday that Olympique Lyonnais left back Ferland Mendy will join Real Madrid. Spanish media reports said Real had agreed a fee of 55 million euros ($62.22 million) for Mendy, who has made 79 appearances for Lyon since moving from Le Havre in 2017.
Mendy Set for Real Move, Says France Coach Deschamps News



Chelsea can cope with transfer ban, says Sarri Maurizio Sarri says he is not worried about Chelsea's looming transfer embargo, insisting he has confidence in his squad as he targets a top-four finish in the Premier League.
Chelsea can cope with transfer ban, says Sarri - Afriupdate



Jose Mourinho lands punditry role as he rules himself out of Benfica job Independent.ie Jose Mourinho has landed his first role since his sacking by Manchester United - as a pundit for broadcaster
Mourinho rules himself out of Benfica job - uk.sports.yahoo.com



Ozil opened the scoring after just four minutes before turning provider for Henrikh Mkhitaryan to double Arsenal's lead. Lys Mousset briefly gave Bournemouth hope before half-time, but Ozil and Mkhitaryan combined once more to tee up Laurent Koscielny to make it 3-1 before Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette rounded off an eighth
Ozil leads five-star Arsenal past Bournemouth - footynews.co.uk



Teenage Italy midfielder Zaniolo oozes Roman pedigree PARMA • Roma have long had a history of supplying Italy with top-level home-grown talent like Francesco Totti and Daniele de Rossi who have come through their ranks.
Francesco Totti #10 News, Stats, Photos - Roma - Football



Maurizio Sarri issues public APOLOGY to Chelsea fans days after heated dressing room row CHELSEA boss Maurizio Sarri has issued an apology to the club's fans after the humiliating 4-0 defeat by



A host of big-name footballers are behind a campaign to raise money for a private search for missing footballer Emiliano Sala The campaign has raised £130,000 from almost 2,000 people in just a

0 comments:

Post a Comment